Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sixteen. (and 364)

Tomorrow my son turns seventeen.

Let me tell you a little about him.

He is very inward. There are lots of things about him that people just don't 'get'. His humor is very dry (and I doubt it'll ever get wet). His mind is always in gear. He can work circles around most anyone. He is intensely competitive. He is kind. He is generous. He cracks me up. He infuriates me. He is strong. He is brilliant. He uses few words. He loves to learn. He hates to lose. He's protective of his mom and his sister--not so much his brother. He is my son.

Tomorrow he will receive a handful of gifts and he will smile warmly. And in that exchange between his eyes and mine we will both be the recipients of the greatest gift-- love.

Happy Birthday my boy!

3 comments:

Ame said...

Happy Birthday to your amazing son :)

Lori said...

Wishing your son a very Happy Birthday!

It sounds like he has his act together and realizes - and appreciates - all the things that really matter.

Cheryl said...

Happy birthday to your son. I think I'd like him, from your description. Sounds a bit like my own boy, who just turned 9 a few days ago. I know 17 is just around the bend.