Saturday, November 06, 2010

A Party In The Leaves

As I am prone to do, today I did a bit of thinking whilst raking leaves in (and out of) my yard. I'm not sure why it is, but I tend to do my best thinking while doing menial labor. Thank God for menial labor. No, seriously. Thank Him, I'll wait.

So today my thought tended toward politics. While I am not particularly fond of politics, generally, my youngest son is nuts about them. And, as a parent, I have found that it is difficult if not impossible not to be interested in what my kids are interested in. So, politics it is:

I wonder why there's a group called 'independents'. (Think about it!)

My guess is that it won't be long until someone in the press will mistakenly call it a party all it's own. (Not unlike what has already happened with the tea party movement...it's a movement based on the old Boston Tea Party, not a political party at all)

And if that truly is the case, I can also suppose that yet another press lackey will inadvertently (thanks to spell-check) call it 'the independence party'.

At which time a whole throng of idiots will want to join it because it sounds like something they think they believe in.

Which will then prove the statement-- "Independent thinkers are usually neither"--to be true.



But what do I know? I'm just a guy who rakes leaves in a thunderous wind under a tree whose branches are not yet bare :)

2 comments:

John said...

As a clarification, I consider myself to be an idiot in many regards so my line about idiots needn't be read as denigrating.

Ann said...

"But what do I know? I'm just a guy who rakes leaves in a thunderous wind under a tree whose branches are not yet bare :) "

sounds like how i live my life!!!